We went on vacation last weekend!
We went to our friends’ gorgeous house on the Hudson, got spoiled with delicious food, and let our kids entertain each other while we discussed important things like how we just screwed ourselves by staying up talking past midnight. Only, turns out it wasn’t a vacation; it was a trip, according to this brilliant and handy blog post my friend Cindy just shared with me.
So let’s see, vacation or trip:
1) We got there by car = TRIP.
2. We met up with friends = VACATION!
3. There was a kitchen and I may have sort of half-helped empty the dishwasher once = TRIP.
4. No forts, no aquariums, no jigsaw puzzles (unfortunately) = VACATION!
5. I’m currently a stay-at-home mom = TRIP
6. Kids were definitely there. Not just our kids, but twins Hazy’s age, a little spitfire who’s a little younger than George, and even a new baby, swoon, but still…TRIP.
So, I guess it wasn’t a vacation, but it was a really, really good trip.
Anyway, I go on vacation every day, according to this quote from Louis CK:
“Parents live for the tiny vacation from their kids. When you put the kid in the car and you close the door. That little walk around to your own door, it’s like a Carnival Cruise.”