When You Try To Do Too Much In One Day, You End Up Snapping About Slow Walking In Rain Boots

I’ll come up with a shorter title for my book someday.

Most days follow a sort of arc where I start off as Maggie Seaver (hey, it’s my blog, I can pick my ideal TV mom), teaching life lessons and maintaining my sense of humor, and then by day’s end, I turn into Aleida Diaz, short-tempered and cruel.

tumblr_mt16dry62q1sb3v88o1_1280

Yesterday, we had an action packed day. We took the train to the Greenway, where we ran through the sprinklers, rode the carousel, ducked through Faneuil Hall, and explored some trucks.

When the punchline is
When the punchline is “a fairy codmother”, laugh out loud is debatable.
Things that George finds exciting on the train: platforms, tunnels, other trains.
Things that George finds exciting on the train: platforms, tunnels, other trains.
Do all kids put their butts on sprinklers, or just my…um, friends’?
“It’s raining!”
Fun fact: this carousel plays Bon Jovi.
Fun fact: this carousel plays Bon Jovi.
Whoa, we're halfway there,  Whoa oh! Living on a giant grasshopper!
Whoa, we’re halfway there,
Whoa oh!
Living on a giant grasshopper! (original lyrics)
Look what George picked up.
Hey, sarcastic thanks for showing George that the horn works on this, Greenway guy.
Only my kids would buckle their seat belts at a Touch-A-Truck.
Only my kids would buckle their seat belts at a Touch-A-Truck.
Hazy: Let's build a house! George: Let's have a snack.
Hazy: Let’s build a house!
George: Let’s have a snack.
“Oh Mama, I wish we could go to that art studio.”
Mama, making dreams come true since August, 2015.
Artist's rendition of Hazy and George coloring
Artist’s* rendition of Hazy and George coloring, pencil on clipboard *Give me this
Cooling down in the T station
Cooling down in the T station
Pretending to cool down because he's too short to actually feel the breeze
Pretending to cool down because he’s too short to actually feel the breeze
Toy Pit cleaning outfit
Toy Pit cleaning outfit
The cops got a kick out of George's police station outfit (submitting accident report).
The cops got a kick out of George’s police station outfit (submitting accident report).
“I can’t walk in these boots, because they keep falling off my feet!”
“Then next time, let’s not wear those boots.”
“I have to wear them if it’s been raining, so I will wear them again next time.”

They wore their rain boots on what was supposed to be a quick trip to CVS and to a local gift store to get some presents for my cousins. The trip ended up taking TWO HOURS, and I believe one and a half of them were due to slow walking in those G-D boots. I may have been a bit snappy, but thankfully, I got a much-needed break in the form of a girls’ night with my high school friends. At dinner, they asked me to tell them, honestly, if I was having fun staying at home.

The overall and honest answer is yes.

Hazy and George are sweet, fun and funny, and 80% of the time, they’re really well-behaved. It’s the other 20% of the time that is exhausting and maddening.  But getting to spend this summer with them has absolutely been worth that 20% of suckage. Plus, about once a day, we laugh our collective asses off, and I wouldn’t give that up for anything.

One thought on “When You Try To Do Too Much In One Day, You End Up Snapping About Slow Walking In Rain Boots”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s